View Single Post
Unread 06/23/2017, 10:21 AM   #127
pisanoal
Registered Member

Bayer will not work. I restarted my tank a year ago, and dipped everything that was transferred over that had some of these guys on it in a strong bayer solution with a powerhead. I manually removed all I could find, and dipped everything. Started with all new equipment, all new dry rock and sand. I kept my coral on egg crate stands in the new tank for months, and monitored them for vermetids popping back up, which they did. I steadily removed all I found, and eventually one rock got a bunch on it seemingly overnight ( not really, but didnt take long). I took that rock out, dipped in muriatic, and replaced. Fine for a few months, no other issues. Kept inspecting pieces that had a few pop up every now and then. Eventually I thought I got them all and quit monitoring. A month or so later, I noticed one on my main rock structure, then another... Etc. On every rock and a couple on my overflow.

Summary, bayer dips aren't the answer.

Good news, though! I posted this in another thread, but it appears the dewormer fenbendazole kills them, and even better news, it can be used as an in tank treatment if done properly, and with certain precautions.

Fenbendazole has been used for long time to kill hydroids in seahorse tanks. I stumbled on a relatively new thread on another forum that mentioned it being used as an in tank (reef) treatment foe hydroids and had a great side effect of killing vermetids. Reportedly killed all he had.

Caveats: kills other snails and starfish, some corals like xenia, gsp, gorgs,bristle worms. Zoas are said to be fine, fish are unaffected, sps, lps are fine. It takes several months to purge the system and be safe for snails and starfish again, but if it rids the tank of vermetids, that's a pretty decent trade off.

Google fenbendazole kills vermetids

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote