View Single Post
Unread 04/13/2010, 07:45 PM   #24
cilyjr
Registered Member

drilling 101
first off check out this post on how to. it is my opinion that one should not use the dremel method (one of 2 listed in the thread). a hole sawcost about 25 dollars online.

it is easiest to have the glass panel you want to drill facing horizonal with the ground so you will be drilling dowanward. but that was not possible for the 180. it was simply too big to flip on its side with 2 guys.

start by cutting a template of your hole into a wooden block (do not use your diamond hole saw for this.it seems obvious but i figured i should mention it). i cut a notch out of the top to allow water to enter the drilling area more freely

secure your template to the area you want to drill (dont get too close to the edge it can crack more easliy). i normally just use duct tape or even painters tape sometimes.

next ya need a water source i use a 5 gallon bucket with airline tube and a john guess fitting drilled into the bottom and i just open the little valve until water is trickling out. use cold cold water heat caused by the friction is the enemy!!!

next start drilling. if facing the drill down then just let gravity supply the pressure keep moving at a nice steady pace. i use a high speed setting for the drill. some say never stop until you are through but i stop all the time and periodically feel the glass to see if it is warm

that's pretty much it now just put in your bulkhead.

now for tonight's addition of the build

Current Tank Info: 180 inwall, 75 sump, 20lfrag, 3x lumen max elite w/250w radium 20k, recirc modded asm g-3, aqua controller apex,2x rw-20, 350lbs LR
cilyjr is offline   Reply With Quote