New build - Fluval Evo XII

Hardware:

Fluval EVO XII 13.5 US gallon tank
Stock return pump
50W heater
Aquatic Life 115 Skimmer in chamber 2
Stock lights for the first few months then upgrade to AI
Jebao PP8 wave maker

For now I am using the foam block and carbon in chamber one. I plan on adding a gooseneck LED and filling this with floss, Chaeto and live rock rubble in an InTank media box.

I added 4.5 pounds live, and 8-9 base Moani rock to a substrate of Natures Ocean live sand (live or not, it is good looking sand). The total water added after was just under 10 gallons. At least two of the pieces of base I chose were still red/purple with coraline so I am hopeful that they will seed and thrive quickly.

The skimmer started pulling foam and skimate within minutes; I was pleasantly surprised. It is just after 3 hours and the tank is just about clear. I have a temporary light over it as I am waiting for a replacement for the stock LED bar from Hagen, all the original did was flash annoyingly. The light is just to be able to see and take a picture or two while I wait and see what kind of nitrogen cycle I get and for the algae cycle to take hold before I introduce the clean up crew. I am going to move the wave maker powerhead to clear out any bubbles or sand on rocks and let it sleep over night.

Initial readings:

PH 8.0+
Amm .25
Ni 0
Na 0

I have to pick up a couple gallons RODI tomorrow for top-off and to calibrate my refractometer. The water was Instant Ocean Reef Crystals pre-mixed from my LFS so I am not really concerned, just getting the baseline numbers. I expect my RODI unit to arrive within a few days so I'll be making my own by February.

This will be a western Pacific tank. For inverts I will stock a combination of Tonga conch, nassarius, cerith, Mexican turbos, margarita and trochus snails, along with a coral banded and maybe peppermint shrimp (2-3 each of the snails, one each of the snails and conch). I want to stock heavily on my vertebrates. I want a color variated clown (I would love a pair but there just isn't room), a court jester goby, and I would like to also add a green clown goby or maybe a ring eyed dottyback. I realize that is a heavy bio-load (8-9 inches full grown) and I plan on weekly water changes to handle excess nutrient export. Corals are still open at the moment. I have always been drawn to zoos, acans, and palys. I am considering a bubble tip for the clown. I will get as much aqua-cultured livestock as possible.

I plan on adding the motile inverts in a couple weeks depending on the algae cycle. At the rate I am planning, it will be early to mid March when I start adding vertebrates, and mid to late April before I add any frags. Let's hope I can maintain this pace and my patience.

I will add pics as I go.

scattered is offline   Reply With Quote