View Single Post
Unread 01/19/2013, 02:45 PM   #20
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropTrea View Post
May I ask what thpe of radiometric measurement you made on these violet LED's/ In most instruments there is a big fall off in instrument sensativity when you get down below 440nm with some not even capable of reading anything under 380nm.
I base my statements on manufacuter specifications "typical" outputs for the chips. looking at SEMI's C35L violet chip it lists typical output for it's hightest bin gourp at 610mW at a current of 700mA. where as the Luxeon Rebel ES royal blue specs say 1120mW @700mA. I compared this to the relative wavelenth peaks on spectral plots from the VHO Actinics to arrive at my ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropTrea View Post
It is also an interesting with the visual effects of this as light under 460 nm looses it ability to be seen by the human blue cones but is visable by the eyes violet rods normaly used for night vission. The sensativity on an individuals rods to the various cones does varry considerably from one person to another. To me even with just Royal Blues I see a distinct amount of pink in the white sand bed compared to a 460 nm Blue LED. My son sees that same difference while mu wife and daughter can not see the difference between a 454nm rb and a 460 nm blue. On the other hand they can see the difference between a 630 and a 660nm red which I cannot see.

This is why lighting can be so much of a personal preference. Add to that the personal taste where Johnny like a tank with photographic blanced neutral color, Jack like a tank with color that like he is diving in water 5 meters deep and Charlie like a tank where it looks like he is diving 100 meter deep. Therefore no one lighting combination can make everyone happy.
Very true, there's an enourmous thread devoted to color aesthetics of LEDs and it's hundreds of pages can be pretty well sumed up by your statement here

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote