Thread: Phosphates
View Single Post
Unread 12/28/2017, 01:13 PM   #42
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
How high is too high before it becomes detrimental to sps?
Inorganic phosphate is what your test kit reads. I have no idea if there is an absolute number that is too high for SPS corals... BUT... IMO... keeping phosphates at about .05 ppm as reported by a good Ultra Low Range Colorimeter is preferable. I have too much time on my hands right now so here's the thought process that yielded my preference.

IMO, it is safe to say that some inorganic phosphate is necessary for biological functions. Again IMO, excessive inorganic phosphate can cause problems such as algae outbreaks. I'm not a biologist so I don't "know" how much is required. The level where necessary becomes excessive is obviously debatable.

Some corals can get the phosphate they need from organics and bacteria they feed on. The organics and bacteria contain phosphates that your test kit doesn't count. Their formation or propagation reduces inorganic phosphate.

I suppose some corals or their symbiotic algae may need to uptake (absorb) some inorganic phosphate directly. I think that even low levels of inorganic phosphate indicate that there is more than enough available. It means that all the organic compounds that can form have been formed and that all the needs for inorganic phosphate of the corals and other organisms in the system have been met. I also suppose that some necessary biological activities might be limited if inorganic phosphate levels are 0.

The colorimeters I use has an accuracy of about .04 ppm. I want to make sure there is some inorganic phosphate, so I shoot for .05 ppm. That gets me in the range of .01 to .09 ppm.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote