View Single Post
Unread 08/08/2018, 11:31 PM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Would there be any pods in a reverse flow, rubble filter? It seems like it would be a barren environment. But I could be wrong. Try it.

Patrick, I find deep sand beds desirable, as a more natural HOME for a diverse multitude of life forms. A thicker substrate is a bigger home, with a wider array of conditions present to support diversity. I want to learn from Nature. So I want to utilize the most natural methods wherever possible. A DSB fits that. I don't see a need for mechanizing my substrate into a filter. It's increased aerobic bacteria competes with plants for nutrients. Makes more sense to decrease it, in planted tanks. I can see it working in a reef tank.

PaulB sounds like a good guy to emulate. One of the things about the hobby that blows my mind is there are so many different methods being used! I think you can achieve success with pretty much any of them. I guess it makes sense to choose a method that jives with your personality. Do you like reverse flow under gravel filters? Great. I like deep sand beds.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote