View Single Post
Unread 04/04/2014, 09:26 PM   #125
Surly
Registered Member

Well, the low-light/Algae X routine helped temporarily, but the dinos seem to be coming back slowly and I'm back only up to 5 hrs/day of full light.

Here's a weird question. It occurred to me recently that I never had dino problems when I had stronger lighting (3 x 400W 20K Radiums on a standard 180). My rework last summer not only included re-aquascaping but also downshifting to 3 x 250W 20K Radiums with some LED actinics at the same time. My dino problems started shortly thereafter, and I always assumed it was due to nutrients released by thrashing around in the sand. But lately I've noticed that the dino growth always begins on the sandbed, then begins to move up the rocks - but it always seems lighter at the top. Is there any reason to think that going back to the higher light of 400W bulbs will reduce their population by "cooking" them?

Also, I've been running an algae scrubber for over 2 weeks now and have seen almost NO algae growth in it. What "fertilizers" are people using to raise nutrient levels?

Surly is offline   Reply With Quote