View Single Post
Unread 02/14/2018, 08:31 PM   #1
Ruu
Registered Member

Light Striping a Refugium

My newly setup tank has a relatively small refugium (about 20 gallons), and a stupid overpowered light over it (a Kessil H380). More research would have shown that this light has no dimmer (unlike every other Kessil I have owned over the years) and I was assuming I could lower its intensity, but what is done is done.

My chaeto (of which there is a significant quantity, thanks to a massive chaeto donation) is not in love with the light - there is significant bleaching and I am concerned that it will cause problems if I have significant die-off.

I don't want to run a very short photoperiod, since in my mind that would allow a much longer time for nuisance algae to start getting a foothold in the tank.

Are there any views/research on photosynthetic recovery periods, striping the light across a longer photoperiod? By this I mean running it for an hour/two/three then shutting it down for an hour/two/three and repeating over 10 hours or so to both allow growth, and give the chaeto some recovery time between beatings from the little pink sun I just bought?

Dave

Ruu is offline   Reply With Quote