View Single Post
Unread 04/08/2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Slakker
Premium Member

Exclamation URGENT: Possible sick clown...

The smaller of my two clowns is swimming frantically near the sides of the tank, bumping into the walls from time to time. I think he was fine when I got home a few minutes ago, and I noticed it when I accidentally turned the tank light back on trying to adjust the timer.
I noticed how active he was and left it on for a moment trying to get a closer look, and I think he might have had a few white spots on him, but nothing for certain and he was moving REALLY fast. Now that the lights are back off and I've spent about 20 minutes testing parameters and writing this out, they appear to have calmed down tons.

Also, my two Turbo Snails have both gathered up near the surface on the front glass in the middle of the tank. I don't know if this is significant, but it seems odd. One started doing it after i switched bulbs, the other has joined it for today.

Specific Gravity is 1.021 (i know, a little low), the temp somehow got up to 82, so I turned the heater down a little bit and have cracked a window in the room.

Ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are 0/0/25-50 (the color was more towards 50, but tough to tell, so i'm thinking it's in between somewhere.) and pH is ~8.0

The nitrates have gone up since my last test, though I removed the bio-wheel from my system and performed a water change since then. I think I may also be over feeding and ending up with a lot of wasted food. I know, it's useless without pictures, but I can't get a picture of him when he's NOT freaking out, so I don't think it's gonna happen.

Are my nitrates bothering him, or did he just get spooked by the light? I'm trying to think of anything that could help you help me...

I use conditioned tap water (I know, I know...but i'm in the dorms and options are limited). They're captive bred, but were in a tank with some WC fish (not clowns) at the LFS. I've had them since Friday, and the LFS had them for about a week. They both looked and acted incredibly healthy at the LFS, as did the other fish in the tank with them, and have eaten readily in my tank.

If there's anything else that might help please ask, I'm really concerned. I hope they'll both look okay when lights come back on in the morning.

Thanks much in advance!!!

Oceanic 58RR display/20H sump/fuge thread...follow the red house.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Slakker is offline   Reply With Quote