View Single Post
Unread 12/18/2017, 08:53 PM   #11
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Seahorse hobbyist are like reefing hobbyists in that their systems are quite varied.
For me, especially because of age and physical limitations, I go barebottom tanks with live rock in the sumps, artificial decor with spares I can exchange and bleach algae build up, mechanical filtration that I can easily change/clean a couple times a week, and timers that I use to turn off the return pump and filter powerheads, turning on an interior recirculation pump, and then after 1/2 hour, the return pump and filter powerheads come back on automatically while the recirculation pump runs on for longer so that uneaten pieces can be kept in circulation long enough for the filter powerhead to remove.
In my years of seahorse keeping and experimenting with colour, I've found NOTHING that makes them change to the colour I want, even if they are purchased with that colour.
I DID find that live rock tends to make them go dark, but sky blue backing on the tanks increases the chances they will go or remain light.
I've tried yellow specific decor, orange and specific decor including painting the back, end and bottom glass in similar colours, even "rainbowing" with those same colours.
No promising results.
They will be the colour they themselves decide best for them in view of how they each perceive best to blend in. Different seahorses in the same tank don't always see it the same so differing colours can be expected.
thanks

Phantom Clown, Ocellaris Cown, 10 Snails, 4 Hermit Crabs
moneymm is offline   Reply With Quote