View Single Post
Unread 02/11/2018, 04:07 PM   #12
Livingjewels
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
"Tip burn" is a poorly understood problem, and we don't know what actually might be happening. Most tanks can run at 9-10 dKH without problems, but some people seem to see issues if the dKH gets much over 8 dKH or so. You could try running at that level, but there are no guarantees about what might happen. I doubt that the problem will get worse, though, as long as your test kits are reasonably accurate.

Coralline algae seems to come in various strains. I had a tank that lost all its coralline when I went to brighter lighting, for example. From what I can see, there's a fair amount of purple in the bright areas. You might need to add some other strain that will grow well in the lower light area, or some other issue might need some help.

Corals can require different conditions than coralline. SPS do seem to be more touchy. They might be more sensitive to water conditions, for example, including organics and trace metals, but we don't have the tools to be sure about that. The hair algae on the rock might indicate some sort of nutrient issue, and that could limit the growth of corals and even coralline.

Are the SPS having problems other than tip burn? I might try some GFO to work on the phosphate level a bit, although .04 ppm is fairly low.
I visited a reefer today who set his tank up 12 months ago ( same time as me ) using the same pukani rock, he’s tank is fully covered in corraline algae and mine isn’t.??

I went a different way to him in preparing my rock, he used bleach and a good soak in RO water to oxidise any unwanted organics..

I used a brick acid product from the local builders merchants which may have contained a cleaning agent..one thing I’ve picked up on since reflecting back to my previous posts Bertoni where you advised me of muriatic acid was that hydrochloric acid in pure form was around 35% the product I was using was 10%.. so makes me wonder what exactly else was in it..
now referring to the cleaning agent (if that was the cause of my problems) would you say that would degrade, or become diluted to insignificant levels over time?

My rock was completely bone white when I added it, it’s now like a dark grey..

I’ve had ICP tests done and all results on paper would suggest nothing was wrong.

Where would phosphate that fuels algae come from, or is it something to do with the products I’ve prepared it with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Magnesium levels are possibly too low. S/b around 1300-1350.
My mag is at 1400 it does seem to have expedited its growth rate everywhere else but not on my rock.

Livingjewels is offline   Reply With Quote