View Single Post
Unread 05/12/2017, 11:25 AM   #12
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2326 View Post
Very cool build. I'm doing much of the same currently, except with some different technologies. I haven't gotten to the doser part yet, but plan to eventually. How much were the Kamoer peristaltic pumps and where did you source them? Those things are supposed to be super pricey.

In case you're interested, my build is mostly based on a Raspberry Pi, except the lower level bits (PWM, 2-wire, etc) are running on an AVR and communicating over I2C with the Pi. I mainly did that to avoid complexities like RTC, Network, etc that just come for free with a Pi.

That pre-stir mode is pretty awesome. You might actually be able to make a DKH monitor with that
I totally agree that doing this with an Raspberry PI would be nicer.
I have a couple kicking around.
Much nicer for Clock/Date, Storage, LAN access, Easy for WEB GUI, etc.

But I chose Ardiuno for a few reasons.
---> I was Unix Admin for 10 years, coded in Dozen of Languages * BUT NEVER PYTHON ** (Plus ramp up to PI would take a long time)
--> I started with an Ardino UNO, but ran out of I/O Ports, so went to Mega
---------> In my case, I need lots of I/O for Buttons, Sensors, relays, and I have spares for future.
--> Ardiuno boots in 1 second, and is more real time HW control/Processing.
--> I would rather code in PI, but Arudino is much faster for millisecond stuff (out-of-the-box). (Eg, pulsing the Computer Fan, etc).
--> Yes it took me forever to figure out LCD display, RTC, but once I did it was easy from that point. (All my stuff is IC2). I hate the HardCoded signalling, and figuring out libraries.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/12/2017 at 12:01 PM.
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote