View Single Post
Unread 11/07/2017, 03:31 PM   #7
fullmonti
now is the time

Thanks for the follow up but I and I think others would benefit from a little more conversation on this subject.

No doubt 3/8 is safer than 1/4 and by the same logic 1/2 is safer still than 3/8. I am not arguing I just find it hard to understand how a thin frame of plastic around the factory made tanks makes it possible to use much much thinner glass. For example Aqueon makes a 13 1/4x13 1/4x20" tall (they call it 24" tall but the water level is only 20" tall the rest is the hood) The glass on that tank is 1/8. I called Aqueon to see if it is tempered or not and it is not. The hood being built into the plastic rim does make it more substantial than a typical rim but hopefully you see where I'm headed. In general we live in a place where if a factory made product is inferior or unsafe they don't stay in business long, so I assume the factory made tanks have a reasonable safety record. So how can a little plastic frame make so much difference?

When you/they talk about safe and possible failings are you talking about the glass its self breaking or the silicone turning loose?

None if this is about the little extra cost of using thicker glass, lord knows there is very little about reef keeping that is cheap anyway. I could bye the Aqueon tank and stand for less than the materials would cost to build the tank I want and may end up doing that but really would like to know more about all this for the future and I bet others would too.

fullmonti is offline   Reply With Quote