View Single Post
Unread 09/21/2000, 01:39 PM   #14
JohnL
RC Staff

I've been using ozone for about a year now. I stopped running carbon on the water output of the skimmer after extensive residual O3 testing confirmed no trace of O3 in the skimmer water. I do run carbon on the air vent and find I need to change it weekly.

I agree with all of the above information. The best info I have found on the subject is by Albert Thiel in his book, Advanced Reefkeeping. It's out of print and hard to find.

Here are some on-line links:

by A. Thiel. Both books discuss it. The second one has more info.

by B. Fenner.

If you are thinking of using ozone, make sure to read the Thiel info and take the necessary precautions he mentions. Don't bother with a dryer. Expect to get about half of the rated O3 output (probably less). My unit is rated for 250 mg/hr btw, none of the manufactures tell you what flow rate they use to determine the output rating and flowrate is critical to the actual output and I have a 140 tank with a high fish load. For the most part, I get about an 80-100 mV increase in ORP.

quote:
Just wondering if many people use them and if you would recommend them. What's a good brand?

Not many people use them. Ozotech is a great unit but pretty big. Red Sea also makes a nice small unit.

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 09-21-2000).]