View Single Post
Unread 09/13/2017, 07:48 AM   #425
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wally, I sincerely hope your mom gets better. Very best wishes for you guys!!

Here is why I feel that doing this fallow method is practically useless:
Eradicating ich is a practical impossibility. You do all of the steps to remove fish and set up a qt and go fallow in the tank but the next fish OR coral could theoretically reintroduce ich.
Setting up a properly filtered qt system isn't easy and the stress of moving fish into it, with all the stress to the system the fish are coming from plus having to adjust to a new system, only to back again... I don't know.. on very small systems and small amounts of fish, maybe but otherwise, it just isn't worth the potential (not 100%) short lived benefits...
Like the common cold, ich and various other illnesses are everywhere. Pretty much guaranteed that ich cysts have made it into every holding tank in every salt water tank for every type of fish AND coral, everywhere. Based on the theory that ich cysts are so resistant.
I have had a couple pretty bad outbreaks of ich or oodinium that have knocked off a portion of my fish population. The rest of the fish recover, become a bit more resistant and then the disease goes dormant. I have even had a spontaneous reoccurrence that killed my mitratus butterfly and Achilles tang last year, so yes it may come back.. but you know what? I also added some snails from a supplier the week before so maybe the ich came from there.. not sure..
I just don't see the merits of this method when dealing with reef tanks. Fish only or fowler maybe...
Ttm is not 100% effective the minute you factor in every day life of a reef keeper. And ich is not a 100% death sentence either.... although, Wally, I have to say powder tangs have a really hard time beating it- BUT, I find the powder browns the most resistant, relatively speaking...
I know this opinion is not very politically correct but for me, it's more about practicality and weighing the overall odds..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote