View Single Post
Unread 02/20/2008, 02:15 PM   #7
artful-dodger
Registered Member

No problem. I was afraid of acrylic for a long time, too. I sold off a beautiful 180g acrylic tank two years ago (to SKFULLER) because I got acrylic-spooked after buying it (from MARWES).

But when my nearly new 140 Oceanic (glass) started leaking, I completely changed opinions. I rehab'ed a scratched up 75 acrylic last year (as one of several temporary replacements for the 140) and it was amazing. Yeah, acrylic definitely scratches easier, but a scratch in glass is permanent whereas it is easily removed from the acrylic.

The opposite is true of the corners, though...as I learned dramatically with the 140, glass seams can eventually leak; properly built, an acrylic tank's seams are stronger than the acrylic sheet itself.

Plus, two people can move an acrylic tank that would require at least six for glass. For my placement in the basement, that was a key consideration.

The reason that I'm selling off this 150 (without ever setting it up) is because I recently bought a 240g (acrylic) to fit in the same space.

Current Tank Info: 140g RR Oceanic "Ultimate" mixed reef, 37g softies, 40g RBTA tank, 65g FOWLR, 40g breeder frag, and (of course) a 29g QT! ...next up is a 240g! (Gotta go to K-Mart and buy a life...)

Last edited by artful-dodger; 02/20/2008 at 02:26 PM.
artful-dodger is offline   Reply With Quote