View Single Post
Unread 02/24/2020, 01:37 AM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefSultan View Post
Great Idea to reduce risks you right. However not easy to convert current tank in home environment.

How they manage not to suck larva’s , I saw the figure 8 but difficult to understand...

Btw, we need to make sure biggest problem is rectangle tank or other conditions. If it is reducing survival rate %10 not Critical for me.. really need to attack the highest risks first
I can assure you that flow is one of the biggest issues. Most reef fish larvae want to swim against the flow and should ideally not touch the ground or the walls (could cause infections or physical damage). Without a continuous flow design, the larvae get easily trapped in the corners of the tank and either starve there or catch infections due to excessive ground contact.
A rectangular tank can actually quite easily modified in the shown form. If the bent plastic sheets are too tricky you can also use flat glass to "round" the corners. I would also create a pump chamber on one end of the tank.
A screen of the right mesh-size, glued on a plastic frame can keep the larvae from being sucked into the pump chamber. I had tanks like that in the past and it worked great.
BTW, the light source is also not without influence. To find what works best you may need to experiment a little.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote