View Single Post
Unread 03/08/2016, 08:15 PM   #30
krullshards
Registered Member

Prazi

I noticed a lot of posts going back some time saying that some combination of prazi + something killed their fish. I treated my fish in hypo with prazi because prazi is a relatively mild treatment and also it is indicated for freshwater as well, so obviously hypo shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed my water in the hospital tank got very cloudy and the fish started to become listless/lethargic. Not acting like themselves, not swimming around much. Then I noticed the chromis start gasping at the surface.

I tested the water and ammonia and nitrite were zero and nitrates weren't too bad either. I started doing a bunch of searches and research and learned that the prazi can cause bacterial blooms due to the carbon in it and that the bacteria quickly use up all the oxygen so you need to more aggressively oxygenate the water.

I hooked up a powerhead that has an airline to aerate the water aggressively and within an hour or so all the fish were back to their normal selves.

I also learned an interesting thing that chromis are actually like canaries in the coal mine. They are more sensitive to low oxygen levels, or so I read. At least now I know what to look for.

Anyway, with all the discussions about prazi, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth of experience.

krullshards is offline   Reply With Quote