View Single Post
Unread 12/09/2017, 12:25 AM   #133
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates
12/07/2017 - Main Tank Updates

I have made some prototypes for supporting the main tank return lines. I may make some adjustments once I have water actually running in the main tank based on any vibrations. They were pretty easy to make too. I used my contour gauge to get a profile and then some of my never ending supply of PVC scrap deck boards. The end result turned out pretty good. I also finished some of the plumbing from the return pump. I had been waiting for some more Cepex 1" ball values (they seem to stay on back order) to arrive and I am finally getting back to doing some plumbing.

Since I plan on having a various wrasses in the main tank I went ahead and ordered some netting for keeping the wrasses from jumping out. I will be making a few removable covers that will be supported by some acrylic lips I plan on building that will attach to the lip of euro-brace. My netting came in so this is one more project in the queue.

Once I finally get water in the tank I will be using a combination of different approaches to help cycle the tank faster. My goal will be to introduce a variety of bacteria into the tank and then the strongest strands will prevail. I will use Seachem Stability, Micro Bacteria 7, and my latest purchase my old faithful a bag of live sand.

Pipe Supports
IMG_9835 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Contour Tool
IMG_9837 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Pipe Supports in Action
IMG_9838 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Netting
IMG_9846 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Live Sand
IMG_9848 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr
12/08/2017 - Base Cabinet Updates - WIP

I have to work on the spacing but this is how the base cabinets for the walk-up will look. I still need to work on the drawer fronts and the doors but I am very happy the way things are turning out. A few things I am seeing is the floor is super un-level (I knew this) and my walls are not square..lol. Hopefully I will be able to "fix" this when the counter is installed. I still have to work on my wall cabinets but I have been thinking about having doors that have frosted or smoke glass wall cabinet doors. So far my adventure into cabinet making is very fun. I has allowed me to by several new tools (new table saw, new router and router table), various new clamps, a pin nailer, and various router bits.

24" Base Cabinet, 30" Sink Base Cabinet, and 18" Base Cabinet
IMG_9825 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Drawer on 24" Base Cabinet
IMG_9826 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Drawer on 18" Base Cabinet
IMG_9827 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Testing the Alignment of 24" Base Cabinet and 30" Base Cabinet
IMG_9828 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

18" Base Cabinet
IMG_9829 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

12/09/2017 - Cycling of Rock and Frag Tank Updates
The Phosband is really doing the trick. The pump I was using to run the Two Little Fishes reactor died so I had to replace it. I think the the levels should be lower but I will check in a day or so now that I have replaced the pump. I noticed weird sound the other day but paid not attention to it. My guess is old pump has not been working for for a few days. Sunday I will throw in the shrimp and let it go a week and see where things are. The latest levels in trashcan 1 is listed below:
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Phosphate - .08 ppm
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - .02 ppm