View Single Post
Unread 02/24/2018, 12:08 AM   #4
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalderman View Post
A rather large portion of what corals feed on is bacterioplankton no? So my thinking is Carbon dosing creates more free floating bacteria, more bacteria for corals to eat.
If I had to state my "goal" as you say, it would be algae removal, and prevention of it growing back. My tank is already ULNS, that goal is achieved. Yet Algae still remains, not a ton, but it's there, about 15% of my rockwork id say has descent amount on it.

I don't wanna starve the corals, I feed the fish kinda heavy, I have reef energy on hand and may invest in acropower. No matter how low nutrients there are I think there is always barely enough for SOMETHING to take advantage of it. I guess I was hoping I could make that something be bacteria, and not algae.
It is really hard to find forums where people have used carbon dosing to combat algae, but I guess that's essentially what I wanna do.
First off, captive reef tanks are already heavy with bacteria. If your SPS are doing well, why grow more bacteria, particularly since you don’t know which bacteria are growing. If the corals in your tank, do not feed on that size bacteria, then you have a bacterial soup in your water column with nothing to eat it. Why not add a few snails to clean up algae. After 45 years of reefkeeping, in the last 6 months, I have come to the conclusion that captive reef tanks have skewed bacteria populations because of protein skimming, carbon dosing and lack of predatation. To that end, I am installing uv sterilizers on every tank I have.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

I don’t know what nuisance algae you have, but snails and UV sterilizer has worked well for me.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote