View Single Post
Unread 02/27/2018, 03:25 PM   #10
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
With respect to your comment that the protein skimmer will pick up the extra load from carbon dosing in a reef tank, the same Dana Riddle article at Advanced Aquaria quantified exactly what a protein skimmer did remove. With respect to DOC:
Protein skimmers remove, at best, 35%
GAC removes 65%
Mature reef biofilter removes 75%
Bacteria is not DOC...

Just getting terms straight, DOC is fundamentally dissolved organic carbon smaller than bacteria, which is particulate organic carbon. Regardless I think you meant that it will selectively skim bacteria, which may drive shifts in populations (i.e. https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature.)

But that is not what the OP is asking (long term effects of carbon dosing), he is asking if the carbon dosing will be synonymous to a refugium in the Triton method, in what it provides in "food" and export with elevated levels of bacteria.

Anyway, I personally would be skeptical that any bacterial from carbon dosing would be a good food source. But it certainly is a proven export method if skimmed.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 02/27/2018 at 04:07 PM.
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote