View Single Post
Unread 03/06/2018, 12:54 PM   #168
Yaryman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
During heating season you are saving nothing as the heat from the pump goes directly to reduce the heating requirement. Also the heat from the DC pump is largely in the transformer
which is not in contact with the water and does not reduce the heat requirement. So you could argue that in the heating season the DC pump actually uses more electricity than the AC pump
when combined with the heater requirements.
The heat from a pump might affect a smaller tank, but my 300 gallon tank is more effected by room temp. Before replacing the Mag 12 with the DCT-4000 I was running a 175 watt heater
as the over night house temps were dropping to 66 or 67 degrees causing the tank temp to drop to 74 and below.

On the other hand, during the summer if I leave for several days, the house temp can rise 80 degrees or above without the air conditioning running.
I would leave the air set at 79 or 80 to keep the tank below 85 degrees. Now with a cooler pump, maybe I could set the air conditioning at 81 degrees.
My estimate is that the air conditioning runs at 5000 watts. So running that less, certainly makes up for running a 175 watt heater for a few extra days.

Pump Update - Still running after 5 days.

Yaryman is offline   Reply With Quote