View Single Post
Unread 01/20/2012, 08:58 PM   #76
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Peter has all this info on his web site. Here is the latest data that he gave me on his lighting.

Note, however, that he is in the process of replacing all the metal halides with Orphek LEDs. This process will be completed by Mr.Wilson in the very near future.

Dave.M
Thanks ever so much Dave. We do have the lights and we are in the process of testing them now. They are considerably more elaborate so we are taking our time. The initial impressions are very positive. The PAR, LUX, UV and coverage are as as good or better than what we have now and that is with the additional colours of red, blue, UV and now the ability to dim. We are still fiddling with the capabilities as these are brand new and the documentation is terrible but that seems to be par for this industry. My advice to Orphek is that they just may have an excellent product representing a best practice for this hobby but without better documentation they are going to have great difficulty convincing people like me. Having said that (I don't want to minimize how important it is) I am very very impressed with what we have seen so far. The product is well built and I believe very well suited to our needs as Marine Aquarists. I will be taking pictures when we put them up but I am very excited to see the real testament to the quality of the lights in the resulting coral growth and colour in our tank.

I have been somewhat absent from the thread NOT from lack of interest or passion for the hobby but from the seasonal activities and most recently a bout of food poisoning that was very severe. I am OK but I haven't spent much time on the keyboard. I have however been engaged in one activity or another in the fish room and tank so lots to report on and update as my time allows. I am going golfing next weekend in Orlando so Mr. Wilson is minding the tank while I'm away. I took about 2 hours of 1080P video with the GoPro camera (Highly Recommended) but its still too shaky to post so I need a bit more practice.

Recently I had to sign a non disclosure for a film crew that was here to film the tank as a backdrop for a program I can't talk about but I can tell you that the camera crew that took the pictures produced a product that was absolutely awesome in terms of quality.....and that was just looking at the raw footage without any post processing. At least now I know its possible and I'm tempted to bring the crew back to do a shoot just for us.....will see in a few weeks.

The tank its self is in fantastic shape and the growth and colour of the coral is fabulous. I will try and get an update soon so please forgive the tardiness.

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote