View Single Post
Unread 09/10/2014, 09:42 PM   #122
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks for your blessing on the Caribbean thing. But I agree, they may not look right, with the other fish. Especially the black ones. A school of silver ones might work though. I'd love to get a Caribbean Silversides, but I haven't seen them live.

Your objection is noted and respected. Is it because fish are more intelligent that plankton? Do you eat fish? I do. We are consuming fish, being in this hobby. Whatevas! To each his own. I have no desire to create a death trap for any fish. I do want to emulate nature, and it's food web. Zooplankton consuming phytoplankton. Manatees eating Manatee Grass. Fish eating snail eggs. Lookdowns eating small fish. It's all the same to me. Nature.

If I do end up with some lookdowns, I want to take good care them. If I could maintain populations of mollies and shrimp that would be awesome. I'm sure I'll have several foods for them. We'll see with the Mollies. Kind of a pricey feeder fish, but they multiply.

I'd really love to approach having a tank full of life that fed itself and filtered itself. I drive it with energy, and nature takes it from there. But of course, our aquariums are not ultimately maintenance free, and we have to intervene to make up for the aquarium's limitations. I look forward to playing the role of Manatee!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote