View Single Post
Unread 03/07/2018, 04:30 PM   #11
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkette View Post
Hi RayJay --

I have northern pipefish in the tank -- no seahorses (at least not yet) -- I never know what the neighbors will bring me in a bucket. But it's winter now, and I don't expect anymore surprises I also got a 56 gallon for my birthday that I was going to set up as a saltwater tank with some corals, but it will now be home to my LI tank.

I knew I would have to feed live foods if they were to survive, so I fed live brine shrimp -- they gobbled that up! Then I gradually started adding some frozen mysis in with the live food, as well as some plankton (they DON'T like plankton), and a frozen invertebrate diet (they went for that!).

Thankfully, I have not lost a single pipefish -- and they are now happily eating the frozen diet.

I didn't know how to best accommodate them, so I have seaweed-encrusted rocks, hermit crabs, grass shrimp, snails, small crabs. Everything in the tank is from LI waters. All looks good, but I am concerned about the bacteria you mentioned? Vibrios? Will google it, but it sounds nasty --

Thank you so much for the feedback!
I will be on the watch for water quality issues --
Hi just saw this post,
If your still working on this project you could always try a small UV system for bacteria control. There are many types out there in all different price ranges. Just make sure it gets continus flow so it won't overheat. Good luck

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote