View Single Post
Unread 12/03/2011, 03:50 PM   #89
Sk8r
RC Mod

I wish I could give you guidance about Flatworm Exit. The danger in flatworms is not that they specifically harm anything that I know of---but they build up in huge numbers and then the population crashes and rots faster than the bacteria can deal with it. This causes an ammonia spike that crashes the tank. The danger in Flatworm Exit, or Chemiclean (for cyano), or any of these chemical solutions to a 'bloom' of something unwanted is the same...the dieoff is sudden, it can be massive, and the sandbed can't keep up. Your defense against the dieoff---is your skimmer. Novices and new tanks tend to have blooms---a lot of various ones---and novices tend to have underpowered skimmers. If your skimmer is really good, you may be safe. If not--using a turkey baster or siphon tube and water changes to suck the problem out to a bucket is one of the best preparations you can use. I do not recommend ChemiClean because a simple lights-out procedure can stop the problem without resort to a chemical that may take out more than you want; but flatworms are a problem that has to be solved, and this product is about all there is. Manual removal through several water changes, and then the Exit. And a skimmer.

A good basic trap: a baited wine carafe, tipped up slightly against the rockwork, or a liter coke bottle with the top third cut off, stuck screw-side down inside the bottle, and glued in. Bait, weight with rock, and wait overnight. Things that can't swim can't necessarily get out. If you accidentally trap good guys like bristleworms, etc, just return them safely to the tank, get photos of what you can't id, and the sump is a good place for a lot of them while you wait for id.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote