View Single Post
Unread 10/18/2016, 12:49 AM   #55
2smokes
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I'm not sure I understand the conclusion of your post between the opening and the ending.

I don't think anyone has proposed that this is a method to supplement Ca. Only that it may be useful as a flocculant to help skimming or other types of mechanical filtration.
To get a conclusion you have to read the quote to wich i was giving the reply.That user sayd CACO3 is better than kalk(CAOH) wich is totally wrong.Caco3 is just tossed limestone and it isnt soluble in water just like sand is-it will deposit on the bottom.It wont ,,floculate,, nothing.The real stuff that makes water clear as in thoose pictures is kalk because the calcium in calk is available in the water solution and that calcium bonds to the phosphates that make the floating detritus.A lot of people use kalkwasser mainly to keep theyr water clear and not necesarely for adding calcium or keep the alk stable(like the soft corals aquarium that use kalkwater in the top off).I assumed that the KZ product was kalk (never measured to see the ph of the coral snow)but if its just tossed up limestone(caco3) its even worse than if it was kalk .This is just my opinion on the matter but nobody keeps you from pouring tossed limmestone into the aquarium.It wouldnt hurt nothing for sure.

2smokes is offline   Reply With Quote