View Single Post
Unread 09/05/2010, 12:41 PM   #4
DetectiveTofu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by username in use View Post
They don't deal with it all the time. Those photos are from extreme low tides that only happen a few times a year, and they don't always happen during the day. While its not a problem to expose them for a little while, dropping hte water in your tank for a couple of hours is, in my opinion, asking for losses at one point or another. You can easily shave 1 1/2 hours off of that cleaning time and still get everything done that you need to. Or, maybe set up a shop light over the tank so you still have light but aren't baking the corals under your lights.

I always expose my corals to air when transfering them to my tank, and during large changes they are exposed, but I try and minimize it if and when I can.
Agreed. Exposure to air should be kept to a minimum, for sure.
But I still believe that often times people underestimate how hardy these corals are. I've had SPS colonies, not frags, out of water over night and they were fine. I am not saying I advocate getting the corals out of water for hours and hours at a time, but they are well equipped to handle it.

DetectiveTofu is offline   Reply With Quote