View Single Post
Unread 10/26/2011, 04:21 PM   #89
JohnnyB in SD
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N728NY View Post
That's great Floyd! I will have to see if I can some posts from him and check it out! I know with my 75 gallon set up, I made my scrubber slightly over sized (sized for 100 gallons) and I dump huge amounts of pellets and frozen shrimp in my tank on top of spot feeding my corals on a regular basis and I still have yet to register any nitrates on my test kit. Being that I'm still new I still haven't built up the courage to unplug the skimmer yet. I may try it once I know for sure my scrubber is fully matured, got plenty of ro water made up and salt ready just in case I need to do an emergency water change lol. I still have a clump of cheato left that I suppose would be good back up if the scrubber couldn't keep up. The cheato doesn't really grow very much right now because of the scrubber. I love these scrubbers, I'm so glad I took the time to read "both sides" of the arguments on them to find out the facts about them.
Hey N728NY
I would suggest putting your skimmer on a timer and gradually reducing the amount of time you run it as opposed to shutting it off cold turkey. I have mine set to run for one hour in every 24, over skimming 5 gallons per session. No negative effects on water quality and I've cut more than 2 KWH/day off my electric bill by not running a 90w skimmer pump all day.

JohnnyB in SD is offline   Reply With Quote