View Single Post
Unread 11/03/2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Finsky
Registered Member

Velvetelvis:

It is a very, very qualified question regarding the compatibility issue of damselfish and any species compatability is a field of study of which I have a major interest.

I consider my tank to be on the aggressive side of sem-aggressive.

I will give you some insight regarding my observations of the pair of Tomato Clownfish (Amphiprion frenatus) also called the Bridled clownfish, Red clownfish, or Tomato anemonefish, over the past six and a half years which you know are one of the most aggressive species of clown fish know to man other than possibly the Maroon Clownfish of which I have no direct experience.

The female killed previous attempts at introducing "smaller" species of clownfish and damselfish and I then ordered a 2 1/2 inch Clarkii about four months ago. I do not know why, she stayed in a cave between the left glass and the live rock on the left end of the tank with five bubble tip anemones where the Tomtato clowns live and breed.

When I feed Mrs. Clarkii would reach out and eat food floating by although she was constantly chased back into the cave by the female Tomato clownfish. This went on for three months with Mrs. Clarkii living with her head sticking out of a cave and then gradually at nighttime she would veture out to the upper left back corner of the tank and swim around there while Mr. and Mrs. Tomato clownfish where sleeping peacefully in there tank.

As a side note, I had received a "free" 2 1/2" Domino Damsel fish from the LFS as the owner told me a custome had brought it in saying it was a trouble maker. It fit right in to my tank and as I had read they will take to a True Carpet Anemone I had high hopes.
My hopes were fulfilled rather quickly as this Domino started gradually acclimating itself to the anemone and then fully entering it. I then purchase a second Domino brought back to the same LFS about the same size as the first. They get along famously.

Getting back to the Mrs. Clarkii, one month ago I found her in the middle of the True Carpet Anemone where she still resides today and is getting along famously with the two large Dominos.

Mrs. Tomato never did have much interest towards the True Carpet although she defintely did check it out at first. This may have helped the "let's everybody just get along" goal of my tank.

You can read more at my blog: aquariumspeciescare at blogspot dot com. and my post on Wikipedia regarding Clarkii Anemone fish.

Regards,

Tom

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef - 250 lbs of live rock, Rena XP4, two Hydor Koralia 3250s, Aqua-Medic Tuboflotor multi 1000 skimmer - Two 60" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs - 8 1/2 years

Last edited by Finsky; 11/03/2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: additional information
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote