View Single Post
Unread 02/09/2016, 02:30 PM   #1
Johnseye
Reef Addict

*Johnseye's New 260g Build*

120g just isn't enough for the types and size fish I love watching. The new 260g being built by Derek at Miracles is 84"L x 24"D x 30"W with 3/4" starphire on front and sides and eurobraced. 48" rear external overflow with three 1.5" bulkheads for a beananimal. Only two return holes in the back corners of the DT. I decided against CL after talking with Sanjay. Too much risk for what it's worth. I did have 2 holes drilled into the back eurobracing for some Seaswirls if I ever decide to return over the top. Miracles is also building the stand which will be steel framed with stained maple skirting. The 120 is in the sunroom/kitchen area. The 260 will be in my office. Eventually I'll tear down the 120 once everything's moved over.

Sump was custom built to my design by John at Advanced Acrylics. This one will be in the basement. It holds about 80g and is 48"L x20"D x20"W. 1/2" rimless with 3/8" black baffles and bottom. I sized it to go in the stand under the DT if necessary. Flush Lids with tabs on all 4 sections. Notches on the return and the skimmer section for cords, Four 4" filtersock holders, skimmer section 12.75"x20", Center fuge section 12"x20", Return section 8"x20", 5 hole dosing line , 3 hole probe holder, three 1.5" bulkhead holes for the drain plate. I'll be drilling the return bulkhead hole in order to line it up properly with a Reeflo Hammerhead Gold.

Lighting is Geismann Spectra 72" MH/T5 combo. Possible future plans to build in Kessil LED pucks between each MH reflector.

Powerheads will be some shelved Tunze 6105s on each end and an MP40 in the back. I'll move a pair of MP40s over from the 120 then decide whether I want to replace anything for MP60s.

Skimmer for the moment is my shelved LifeReef 24 with Vectra M1. I will either extend the skimmer height or replace it entirely depending on how the noise from the venturi and the heat from the pump do in this setup. The 24 in and of itself isn't big enough for the 260g but the nice thing about his skimmers is they are essentially the same except for the height.

Dry sand is CaribSea special grade. I will be getting live rock from TBS. Not sure if I should go with the Walt Smith, Pukani or both yet.

I had a dedicated 20amp run to a quad in my office and a dedicated 20amp to a quad in my basement fish room.

Because I'll be running both the 120 and 260 simultaneously for a while I had to double up on some equipment, and I'm holding out on some. I temporarily dismantled my frag tank so I can use its Apex and GHL Doser 2. I bought a 75 ft. Apex cable so I'll be linking an EB8 in the office with the Apex in the basement. I picked up a new 55g Roto-mold for salt water storage and am about to pull the trigger on a Genesis Renew for AWC.

Here's the space in the office where the new 260g will go.

Here's that space after taking out the bookshelf, adding the quad and opening up the wall for plumbing.

The 260g Miracles tank before the eurobracing was installed.

The Advanced Acrylics sump which just arrived today.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS

Last edited by Sk8r; 08/10/2016 at 11:19 AM.
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote