View Single Post
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:11 PM   #2727
slavetonet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Do I know why I got cyano?
I would assume it has to do with my no3 and amino additions after my nutrient reduction.
Personally, I don’t believe there is a unified theory as to why cyano shows up, nor a nutrient ratio that will actually cause it. There are just too many variables and chemical processes going on in a reef to pinpoint any one cause.
I’m not sure I know what ‘peel back the layers of cheato, mechanical filtration and whatever else you have going on to control your nutrients.
Objectively see your input and output of nutrients with rate of tank water turnover ratio.‘ means..
Once my fluconazole treatment is done, I will do a good clean out of detritus in my frag tank and fuge, removal as much cyano as I can from the frag rack and add some carbon. In the mean time, my cheato will be working out a new balance now that the bryopsis is gone.
If the cyano remains with my aminos and no3 additions stopped, I will does a slime remover... or maybe try wally’s Method of zeobak and coral snow.. although I already use AF’s version of coral snow- Build..
I didn't know you are doing the fluconazole treatment.
That is your source of problem with the bryopsis dying and short burst of nutrients explosion. Which it happened to me on my previous tank when I did the same treatment.
It will go away naturally in about 1 month if you left your cheatos to their job.

I do believe there is a good ratio of N:P to stay within to keep the tank looking clean. 22:1 is the magic number that I have come up with after many trial and error. Corals really pump hard with growth and colours if I am feeding that ratio. Which doesn't cause algae bloom issues.

slavetonet is offline   Reply With Quote