Thread: Halide Q & A
View Single Post
Unread 09/19/2009, 01:39 AM   #125
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

24" deep 150g tank MH questions

So I have been doing salt for about 3 years now, but never got into the more powerful lighting systems. When I went with my 150, I decided to go with metal halides. Having never dealt with this form of lighting before, I have a few questions.

I want to keep mainly SPS and some clams, but have a small mix of others. I have kept LPS and softies great with PCs, so SPS are the only coral I have no experience with.

My plan was doing something like 250w 400w 250w left to right over the tank, perhaps supplementing with some T5s. Would this be enough? Would I need to add the T5s? My idea with the T5s was to have those pop on maybe two hours before the halides and then turn off maybe two hours after to give a dawn-dusk effect as well as allow me to shorten the time those HOT halides need to be burning throughout the day.

I have and will be doing a lot of reeding on the halide section of the forums. Thanks in advance for your time!

~ Bela

EDIT: The tank is not up yet, but I suppose I should add that with a sand bed, the lowest depth would be something like 22"

lordofthereef is offline   Reply With Quote