View Single Post
Unread 11/23/2017, 01:50 PM   #9794
karimwassef
Registered Member

So here is my feedback on solar ATS.

It's been running for two weeks now with nearly no growth! I realize it's November and Texas isn't the brightest in terms of sunlight, but I was still expecting something.

The new outdoor tank has seen its fair share of fluctuations due to the massive move or rock, sand, coral, fish, inverts and algae... temperature variation went from 64 to 87! Most things survived though. Only a few coral died but I suspect that was mostly due to the salinity, Alk and pH swings during the moves.

So I had expected the scrubber to consume the biproduct and turn it into algae but the weak sunlight just didn't cut it. I put my PAR sensor on and here's what I see:

photo 8D529205-DDE3-47AB-A7A7-655A40EAE89F_zps7avu5bwe.jpg

So I went from 1500 PAR 24 hrs a day to a 1000 PAR for 4-6 hrs!

I do get early shading from the fence and greenhouse sides but clearly not enough.

I added 2 x 100W LEDs for 19 hours to supplement the solar... will update as I have more.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote