View Single Post
Unread 01/05/2018, 12:01 PM   #15
mako61
Registered Member

A few things :

if you use sand rinse it really well before you add to tank. I didnt do this correctly clouded my tank for a while.

I use redsea felt filter socks. It you do get a few sets. its easier to rotate them. I have 8 or so sets. ( got them over time not cheap) When they are all dirty I use the washing machine with pure bleach and this to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that wont hurt your tank. its basically powdered hydrogen peroxide. same stuff as oxiclean.

I run 2 heaters instead of one bigger one. Use the apex to make sure your tank doesnt over heat. I let the heaters control the temp and use apex to shut them off if too high heat. ( one outlet ) Some people do it the other way around. A common way to kill your tank is a heater stuck on.

Have a plan if your return pump fails. I had a smaller pump i used to move around water for changes. I used it till I fixed my return. I now just have 2 return pumps. I dont think there is any need to control return pump speed other than on/off. I got a controllable pump, cable, hooked it to apex, setup program ... and then never changed the speed. IMHO waste of time money. For feeding I just turn off powerheads not sure thats even needed in truth.

I am def not a pro these are just my options/observations . Lastly be patient nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote