View Single Post
Unread 10/23/2005, 10:55 AM   #1
kwl1763
Premium Member

~450G Display (~1000G system) documentary starting

I struggled with what to name the thread as I'm a couple months out on actually placing the tank but a lot of planning has already begun and I want to go ahead and get it started now.

First things first. The tank will be 120x36x25. It will be an SPS/Clam dominated tank, barebottem with most likely black starboard!

It will be inwall viewable on 2 sides. 3/4" glass with Diamante low iron on the viewable sides.

It will be in my basement and will have a huge ~500 sqft fish room behind it where I can put all the sumps and equipment, etc.

So far here is what i will have.

4 100G rubbermaid troughs for sumps.

One will be for the skimmer input and output and where I store the heaters, phosban reactors,etc.

Second will be a "DSB in a bucket" see the thread in Anthony Calfo's all things salty forum for more info. Basically it is a remote DSB. That way if any problems do arise with it I can take it out and replace without tearing down the system!

The third will be a refugium and frag growout tank. 75% of the tank will be just cheato for the pods to play in. a small part will be sectioned off and made into a frag propegation section.

The final will be the return portion where I will have the calcium reactor effluent, keep the probes for the ACII, etc.

These will all be cascaded 6" above each other with bulkheads for drains near the top so no additional pumps will be needed. I am also planning the plumbing so that with a few ball valve turns I can take any one of them offline and still have the system run. This is in case one leaks, I have a DSB problem, a heater melts one, whatever just for safety factor.

I will also have 2 additional 100G troughs stacked on top of each other. The top will have saltwater in it. It will be setup so that a ~100G water change will be a couple ball valve deal. The bottom will be RO/DO water and where the autotopoff will come from to the return sump. When I do a water change I will run the RODI unit stright into the saltwater bin until it's full then I'll mix the salt in that bin with a powerhead so I'll always have a 100G "tank" at the ready in case of a major emergency. I have the new Merlin RO unit that can do like 700-1000GPD! There is still more planning that needs to go into this part of the setup but we'll save that for a later post!

Equipment: Pics will follow for some

Skimmer is a DIY ~6ft tall dual Beckett powered by an Iwaki 100. I will build a waste collector out of a 5G bucket with an autoshutoff feature.

I will inject ozone but do not have the unit yet and not sure which one I'll go with. More to come.

I have 4 phoban reactors that I will hook up in series. The first 3 will run phosban or simular and the last will run carbon. I assume that I will have to change the first canister much more often the the last 2 but I'll just have to play that one by ear for now.

I have a dual chamber monster calcium reactor built by Reeftek with an Ehiem pump. I will probably T off the same feed pump for the phosban reactors for this. Both need so little flow!

Lighting: From a previous tank I have 2 250W DE PFO pendants and ballasts. I think I am going to get 20ks for these and run them in between 3 250W Iwasaki's with either Luminarc or PFO reflectors. I'm hoping that the 20k combined with the 6500s will give a nice look. If not I can always add some T5 actinics.

Flow:

2 Tunze waveboxes, a closed loop with this 1/3hp pump http://www.bermudaaquatics.com/hepumps.htm and a manifold with ~10 outlets at the top.
2 Tunze 6100s.
The return pump will be an Iwaki 55 with two eductors on the end. I haven't eaxactly calculated total flow but it's a lot, I think over 15,000 GPH!

I will have 5 holes drilled in the back. A 2" bulkhead for the closed loop intake, 2 1.5" drains, and 2 1.5" returns. I will have a 60"x8"x8" horizontal overflow centered in the back. I'm debating on hole location for the closed loop intake and the returns. Part of me want to put them lower so I can create better movement along the bottom but the other part of me wants to put them all near the top so If I ever have a bulkhead leak I'll be OK. Opinions?

That's enough for now. Next post has the pics!

Click the red house above to visit my thread

Current Tank Info: 450G SPS tank and a 20G RBTA/Clown tank

Last edited by kwl1763; 10/23/2005 at 11:47 AM.
kwl1763 is offline   Reply With Quote