View Single Post
Unread 11/05/2017, 06:55 AM   #1
Puffyluv
Registered Member

Molly Miller (scartella cristata) Breeding

As most first time surprise spawns seem to go...I have completely failed at raising these!

Now...tell me how to do it better!

I grow coral, I'm not a fish breeder... and though our shop stocks all tank bred and captive conditioned fish...oddly enough, in 15 plus years I have never so much as attempted to raise a clownfish clutch. After a mishap with a pump in a 6ft x 2ft stock vat, I noticed the tank FULL of molly miller blenny fry. I can only suppose they have been spawning in there unnoticed for quite some time!

So, that's the backstory...here is what I tried

Day One - notice tank full of fry! Net them all out and transfer to a 10g tank with a sponge filter. (In retrospect, this was probably a mistake...the fry appeared to be able to be sucked right in to the sponge filter!) Try feeding Reef Roids.. they appeared to eat it!

Day Two - realize it can't possibly be that easy, and go on a pod hunt! Score some brine eggs from another local LFS...begin the culture. Unable to find anything better in town that was viable Notice at least 1/3 of the numbers have been reduced, despite 3 times a day reef roid feedings...glare at the brine eggs and be irrationally angry they haven't hatched in a few hours!

Day Three - that's today...finally dumped a TON of baby brine in...to a tank with maybe 10 fish fry

I am usually the Googling queen...I very rarely have to ask anything on a public media platform. This time, though...coming up with nothin'. I can find pictures of eggs and note that we do indeed already have another nest that is maybe mid way to hatching...can someone help with any tips on larvae rearing??? I have already assumed I likely need rotifers, even new hatched brine may be too big...and no worries there, I can definitely source some. Before I go through the trouble of taking home another batch of fish larvae...someone please point out to me anything I did wrong I may have missed...and any tips for improvement! Thanks, guys, happy reefing to you all! <3

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Puffyluv is offline   Reply With Quote