View Single Post
Unread 09/17/2018, 12:56 PM   #1
cvrle1
Registered Member

Picked up aquarium, have several questions, and critique my plan please

Hello everyone,

Wanted to post separate thread from the one asking about all extra equipment I got with it, as I have questions specific to the tank, stand, sump, etc.

Tank is 120 gallon, 4 x 2 x 2
It came with stand which is 4 x 2 x 28 inches (height)
It also came with Oceanic Model 2 reef ready sump (36 x 17 x 12.5)

Tank is reef ready as well, and has dual overflows (non corner) I would like to take these out, plug the 4 holes at the bottom of it, and install Beananimal overflow system. I checked last night, and it looks like tank is non tempered (used polarized sunglasses and cellphone, glasses turned black when rotated) I found few threads on removing overflows already, but wanted to see if anyone thinks this is a bad idea

Stand is in quite a good shape, other than bottom which has warped, and has come undone in several places. This should be pretty easy to replace with new piece of plywood I am guessing. Also, stand doesnt have a top, so should I put one?

Height of 27 inches (inside the stand) is that enough room to maneuver skimmer and so on? I was playing around with the idea of building my own stand if needed be, but hoping this one will be good to use.

Sump, can I even use this sump, or should I try to re-purpose it for something else? It is Reef ready as well, so it is drilled on the side and has a bulkhead for the return. I could take that out and patch the hole, but am afraid that sump is way too long. Would I have enough room to have dedicated area inside the stand for controller, power cables and bars, ATO, and so on? Inside of the stand is 45 inches, so that would leave me with 9 inches of space. Sounds tight.

Finally, I got about 100# worth of sand. It was live sand, looks to be aragonite, however it was just taken out and put into 2 buckets with barely any water. I am guessing it is mostly now dead, or will be soon. Since I cant set this up for several months, it will keep sitting there. What is the best way of getting this sand ready to go when time comes? I will wash it well, but should I bleach it, cook it and so on, like it is recommended with dead rock that was once live?

Thanks again everyone for the help!

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote