View Single Post
Unread 11/08/2003, 10:55 PM   #1
DensityMan
Registered Member

The continuing Adventures of Tim (Supermantis)

Alright, so I've known for a while that Tim (G. smithii - approx. 1.25 inches) could handle himself with straw-fed brine, stomatella snails and the occasional tiny hermit, but he hadn't really had a chance yet with real prey (at least none I can confirm... I did find a claw-shall last week). Friday I lucked into a tiny, green 'rock-crab' on a new zoa-colony (definately not an emerald/mithrax crab). I was ecstatic.

I just knew the tiny crab would be a great oppurtunity for Tim to strut his stuff. Apparently so did he, for mere seconds after the new crab was placed into the tank (in the rubble-yard roughly 4" from Tim's hole) he was scoping out the new-guy (probably didn't hurt that I guided the crab to his resting place with the feeding straw).

After getting really bored watching both of them watch eachother I 'guided' the new guy closer to Tim's hole (again with the straw). Tim hid.

:|

So I went back to work on something...

About fifteen minutes after I forgot there should have been something exciting going on in the tank I caught a glimpse of Tim darting out of his hole. I tuned into the tank to watch the ensuing battle with great interest. From his movement I spotted the crab who had had the nerve to have advanced onto Tim's rock roughly 3" from his actual entrance, but in plain sight.

Kra-KOW! Splinkt!

Kra-KOW! Sprinkt!

Two great blows did Tim unleash upon the invader...

Two blows did the invader deflect...

Then the green crab actually snapped at Tim!

Snap! FOOOOSH!

He bolted.

The creature that reefers the world over fear and loathe for its destructive power fled the arena of battle... He fled from lunch and bolted straight back to his home, still hungry.

Tim hid.

The crab gloated (I could see it in his stance, he was gloating).

I sulked.

~~~
EPILOGUE:

Tim killed two tiny stomatella snails later that same day. He looked to be showing off with the shells outside Fortress of Sissy-tude (TM). He was trying to show off how fearsome a hunter he is, but I could tell he wasn't even buying his performance. No matter how horribly fearsome those snails had been, I think he knew it was a pathetic show of force at best...

I have named the crab "Kryptonite," and may have to start calling Tim by his new nickname, "Clark."

I'm almost certain Kryptonite's still gloating...

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.

Former roommate of Tim the Supermantis; may he hunt in peace.
(http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266915)

Current Tank Info: building...

Last edited by DensityMan; 11/08/2003 at 11:01 PM.
DensityMan is offline   Reply With Quote