View Single Post
Unread 05/12/2016, 12:36 PM   #82
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablos RSM 450 View Post
If there is a way of verifying a bad Instant Ocean batch please let me know.
I have known people to contact IO and send them samples of the salt for them to test. They have also sent back replacment salt when the original tested bad.

Then this is also what this thread is partly about. Getting a good general consensus of around what to expect for any particular salt brand. If your tests deviate greatly then there may be one of several reasons.

1. Testing error (most commonly caused by either bad reagents, bad device, bad calibration, inconsistent testing procedures, or bad testing procedures)
1b. Salinity is to low or high due to being on purpose or back to #1 with how salinity is tested

2. Salt bag/box not used in its entirety and has different parameters depending on where a sample is taken from. Mixing the bag/box as best as possible before use.

3. Bad Salt batch

But to also keep in mind small deviations will occur from batch to batch and test to test.

I would expect Ca to be with in a +/-20ppm range, Alk with in +/- 1dkh, and Mg +/- 50-60'sh

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank

Last edited by jason2459; 05/12/2016 at 12:48 PM.
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote