View Single Post
Unread 05/29/2015, 09:56 AM   #1144
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Mathman..... If you were to turn your lights off for ten days your corals if you have any would be dead, dead, and kaput. Most if not all of rest of your tank would be a lot worse off too. Dinos were surviving like crazy just like cyano long before dinosaurs. Anyway the good part is that by kerping your tank healthy you force them to compete with other microscopic critters for nutrients. My experience.... I have been reefing for twenty years os so without a hint of dinos. Cyano....yup a few times. I recently cleared my tank of hair algae using a marine "algae killer". It worked like a charm. So good that it apparantly killed all of the microscopic algae too. In a single day my tank went from "what is that brown stuff? to a point where I couldn't even keep the glass clear with scrubbing twice a day. My best success was in cleaning the sump,installing fresh phosphate and nitrate removers and finally re installing my UV sterilizer. It has been about two weeks now. The rocks are clear, the corals are obviously relieved and the dinos are down to maybe four or five dime sized spots on the sand and fading quickly. I've only had to clean the glass once in about a week now. Just my experience. Good luck.

Mikefromaz is offline   Reply With Quote