View Single Post
Unread 05/22/2007, 02:40 PM   #561
Baalz
Registered Member

Fritz I have been trying for months to get my BM200 to perform like this

I have the Gate valve and I put a ball valve on the air inlet. Even though I can get it to skim. i can never get it to push the foam up over the top of the collection cup like I see yours and others do. When I adjust it drier all I get is a dirty rim at top of riser. With my old needlewheel I would get a THICK layer of gunk on the top of my riser and nice skimmate in collection cup. I am still trying to get this to work.

And my skimmate does not have much of a foul odor. My needlewheel did.

Quote:
Originally posted by Freds
FWIW my BM200 is working great. I don't breed clowns, I have no idea who this Ed guy is and I've known that "U Can Do It" was a banned member in disguise forever. I thought it was obvious, "she" was a housewife that hired her LFS to do all her maintenance, yet had more knowledge and info than most people on here! Plus "she" had a few dwyer air meters lying around! My wife couldn't tell you which one was the protein skimmer if you asked her, other than "the one that makes the whole house smell"

Anyhow,
My BM200 makes a really thick nasty smelling skimmate. I've owned three deltecs that made a similar looking skimmate but it didn't smell that bad at all. I'm nor sure why the BM skimmate is far smellier but it is. I would place the BM200 along side the AP701 in terms of performance. As far as longevity I cannot say. I would imagine any eheim based NW skimmer to last you for many many years with very slight maintenance. Who knows how long this will last. The mesh has held up just fine for the last two months with no signs of unraveling. I may experiment with other mesh materials but only because I'm bored and like to tinker with stuff, it's really not necessary.

Another noteworthy mention as this skimmer caught on huge in my local club, don't go "oversized" with these. ATI recommends a BM200 for a 120 and under. Don't put a BM250 on a 120, or worse a 90 because you can. Just like any WAY oversized skimmer, it will pull out tons of funk until it catches up with your tank and then it will be too large to be efficient and you'll trash it and say it sucks. If you follow their guidelines you may like it as I do.

I run a low nutrient sps tank btw.
If you'd like pictures they are here:

(Pics are down at the bottom of the page)
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...skimmer+thread