View Single Post
Unread 07/13/2015, 03:58 PM   #11
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Rays and barracuda are harmless as long as you leave them alone. The cuda looks really mean, but ignore them and they'll leave you alone... as long as you don't have any shiny jewelry on... that looks like a minnow and the cuda may go for it. Even most sharks won't bother with people. Unless they are really big (a 4' nurse shark isn't big), or they are really hungry (so don't swim a dusk because that's feeding time. Do play with moray eels either.

With out a boat, Bahia Honda State Park and the Horseshoe a few miles down the road are the best we've ever been to. We were out at Money Key today and had a ball. I've never seen so many serpent & brittle stars. We picked up one rock and there were at least 6 big and several small stars along with a few plump sea cucumbers. I'll post up a few picks when I get a chance. I did collect a few stars, one has a blue/purple disc and white legs, very pretty. Also collected some nice size snails. FWC met us at the boat ramp, but we had everything they wanted, horn, PFDs, saltwater fishing licenses. I suspect they are looking for people collecting lobsters a few days before season opens.