Thread: Maxima clam
View Single Post
Unread 02/11/2018, 07:48 AM   #12
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
I mean that's always a great question...when to move.
Firstly and I am sure you know this, once attached by the bysal gland thread, never pull him away, this mostly ends in death.

Secondly...behavior.....is his mantle open and nicely spread over the shell, colour is consistent with no white marks....then he's OK.....so I can leave him here....or move up to half way....

Then we go through the process above again, watch behavior, opening and colour, then I can leave him here or move him to the top.

This clam gets 75% of its food from its zooa, so light is important but hard to judge without a PAR meter.

Keep in mind, that water must be perfect, spot on NSW, consistent, supplement phyto but not overkill and polute the water, watch your cal, Alk, and mag ( which you need to do regardless) and dose manually strontium.......clams are great...really expensive but just beautiful.....
Thanks for the reply. Will monitor closely. It is small at the moment but stunning. You're right it was expensive and I did research it beforehand. Going to enjoy looking after it and watching it grow.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde is offline   Reply With Quote