View Single Post
Unread 02/24/2018, 07:10 AM   #5
JDT1234
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
First ensure your newly mixed salt water is at the correct SG/Salinity (1.026 / 36ppt).

Next check the salt mix parameters to the specs provided by the manufacturer as the mix values. Common ones found here: https://www.thatpetplace.com/salt-mix-guide

Third if you do not have coral in the tank you shouldn't have consumption of Alk, Cal, & Mag unless you've got crazy coralline algae growth (the good colorful flat stuff that makes rocks purple in most cases).

I suggest testing for ammonia to rule that out as a cause of death. If all the dying fish are coming from the same source, try another source. Set up a quarantine tank if you can. One completely separate from the main to ensure no cross contamination.

Lastly you could be just over crowding the tank and/or not providing sufficient places for them to hide. Search online for the compatibility chart. Although not 100% accurate, you'll get an idea of which species will have the best of luck together.

Edit: I browsed the previous two threads. I suggest slowing down and allowing what you currently have in the tank to settle for a while. When you do decide to introduce new fish, do so slowly (one or two at a time max).
Thanks Robzilla.

Right now I'm concentrating on getting my water right. Once that I straight I'll start introducing fish again. And yes, I do put in one fish at a time , with the exception of the six Chromis three weeks ago. Ample hiding places as well.

I don't understand why a new batch of salt water matches the specs on the pail and when I take that perfect water and put it in my tank the readings (except for MG) drop immediately and significantly.

Remember, I have changed out all my water so this isn't a case of new water mixing with old water and bringing down the readings. This is new water into new water and the tank isn't stabilizing or even attempting to come up and meet the specs on the pail.

JDT1234 is offline   Reply With Quote