View Single Post
Unread 04/04/2010, 03:37 PM   #2388
mrtaylor
Registered Member

Well, I'm posting on the 96th page of the introduction thread.....something tells me you all might know what's going on!

I'm here on behalf of my wife and I. We've recently found the reef-tank hobby. Strange how it started: We've had a horrible freshwater tank, that we hated but kept alive-ish for about three years. Finally, it became overgrown with algea. Yes, we know that is our fault, so we emptied the tank and went to get what we really wanted: A reef tank!

Like all good North Americans, we decided to get it, started buying stuff, and tried to educate ourselves either while we were going, or after the fact.

We've got a 25 gallon tank, 36" T-5 lights...two actinic and two white.
25ish lbs of live-rock
two powerheads (one rotates)
A Tunze 9002 skimmer

two Nemos (for the kids)
one yellow goby
one pistol shrimp
one blood shrimp
one cleaner shrimp
10 or so blue-legged hermits
8 day snails (i forget the real name)
6 night snails (african?)

Pulsing zena
green star polyp
filter duster worm
frogspawn
and some mushrooms

So far, so good. The LFS is great: they've been in the reef business for 25ish years.

Two small (we hope) issues atm are a slow buildup of brown, hairy algea on our sand. It seems to retract at night. Other issue is the skimmer. I've looked at the Tunze forum on this site and it seems I should just be patient, and make minor adjustments, but I'm concerned something isn't quite right. When doing some live-rock adjustments, the skimmer was bumped and made some gurgling sounds. I closed off the nozzle and eventually opened it up, and the gurlging stopped. But, since then, I don't seem to get much in the cup. With the build-up of algea, I'm sensing that there should be much more nutrients available for the skimmer to be skimming.

Great site, btw. Thanks for the efforts of those who keep it running!

QT

mrtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote