View Single Post
Unread 01/18/2007, 03:42 PM   #1
alizarin
Registered Member

How long does it take spray paint to FULLY cure?

----Short version----:
Anybody know how long it takes spray paint to FULLY cure? As in not being able to detect the spray paint smell when you're 6 inches away?

----Long version----:
I've got what they call "multiple chemical sensitivity". When I'm around certain chemicals, such as ones in spray paint, I get flu like symptoms... very unpleasant and it doesn't take much to set it off.

Anyhow, I painted my new DIY hood with "appliance grade" spray paint. I wore a respirator and I was fine. I let it dry for a day outside. Then when I brought it inside I got really sick, I waited it out for a couple days but still no good. So I let it sit in a garage for three weeks and I bring it inside and the thing still smells like spray paint and makes me a little sick.

My corals aren't very happy with the PC lights I rigged together while waiting for the hood to be ready so I need to figure out a solution. Anybody have any idea how long I have to give this thing before it doesn't give off any detectable fumes? Or how to speed it up short of sanding it down and painting it with water based brush on paint?

alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote