View Single Post
Unread 02/02/2018, 12:01 PM   #85
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

I feel like you missed basically everything in my post. I know you can buy Ich Shield powder (I have some), and I know you can't broadcast dose it into a reef tank without killing everything but fish. My suggestion is to use Seachem Focus to bind the medication to food, and then feed the poison food to the vermetids. If any CP leached into the water it would likely be a much smaller dose than the typical broadcast dose (below therapeutic levels), and you could run a bunch of carbon to remove anything that made it into the water column. I also specifically mentioned why removing all corals to a holding tank is not a realistic option for me.

If you were to dose the tank with poison food, any invertebrates that consumed the food could be impacted depending on the poison/medication used. However, at least in my tank, if I broadcast feed the tank with a small food, somewhere between the size of a newly hatched and adult brine shrimp, I feel like most of it would get consumed by the vermetids. I'm sure some would get consumed by corals, but given large healthy colonies and only consuming a few pieces that happen to blow into them, I think they might suffer some irritation but ultimately survive. The vermetids are a lot more efficient at catching particles out of the water column than anything else I've got in my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
You can actually buy Ick Shield in powder form but I wouldn’t dose that in a stocked reef tank. You’d have to first remove all your animals with the exception of fish. Looks like you need a second tank to hold your corals. At least the ones that have no snails. It will be an easy reset and you will have a snail free tank when finished.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote