View Single Post
Unread 04/16/2009, 10:35 AM   #7
redfishsc
Registered Member

One of the biggest problems with dinos is, just like Plancton said, they will remove all your phosphate and nitrate, making it look like you have "perfect" water quality.

The problem is that there is still a nutrient source. If there were no nitrogen or phosphorus coming from somewhere, the dinos would die off most likely. They just suck it out before anything else can. It's a shame we can't figure out how to make a dino refugium where they continuously bloom but cannot make it into the main tank. A great way to ensure a ULNS situation!

By skimming, you are competing with the lil brats, to some degree, for nutrients--- a very good thing. The skimmer also helps to drive off CO2 in the water, helping keep the pH high.

I am starting to wonder if there is something "seasonal" about dinoflagellates. Seems like all of a sudden there are piles of posts here and elsewhere about dinoflagellate blooms.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote