View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2013, 03:01 PM   #14
superrmario
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terirass View Post
wow, that is indeed a scary story. I had no idea corals could be so dangerous, and I'm glad you and your wife and dogs made it through it ok. I'm definitely going to pass on to my husband that he wear gloves when handling the rocks and corals in our tank. Thanks for passing on the warning.
Always wear gloves no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwatercoral2 View Post
Can you post a picture of the polyps?
Sure. I attached a few pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
I dont think rock boiling is all that uncommon. Im glad to hear that everyone is ok. Ive done the boiling route myself. 1 tip I have for this is to do it outside, I have a large stock put that we use for pressure cooking that runs off LP. Ive used that a couple times to boil the rocks outside. Ive also literally cooked them as well, I dont recommend this, I had alot of my rocks literally explode.
From my experience, I would choose not to do this. Inside, outside doesnt matter. If you or someone else unexpectedly inhales the steam they are in danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by username in use View Post
Im glad you saved the princess. Where's Luigi when you need him.

Funny. My late fathers Biz partners name was Luigi. No, they werent plumbers either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted skin View Post
That's scary story.
I knew zoas/polyps contain toxin and if get into a cut can cause breathing and heart issue, but didn't think by boiling them would turn those toxin into a toxic gas. I would only had thought the vapor from the pot is just distilled water vapor.

Well you won't be catching this guy boiling rocks in the near future. I use a different approach to kill LR.
My next approach is just letting them dry out.

superrmario is offline   Reply With Quote